Wednesday, September 19, 2007

September 19th, Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Anyone who knows me or has read all of my posts while sitting under power lines, knows that I celebrate the mundane and cherish the banal. I fancy holidays that I've created in my own mind and work diligently on spreading their good name. Well now, I 've had the rug pulled out from under my (peg) leg.











Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day. The day when all are encouraged to talk like a pirate. It's been in existence for a short period of time, in comparison to Melonball Thursday's inception. It gained national exposure with the aid of syndicated columnist Dave Barry. The originator, Mark Summers (Cap'n Slappy, pictured right) and buddy John Baur (Ol' Chumbucket, left), created the day mostly to remember Summer's wifes Birthday. Here are some brilliant sound bytes to work in to your dialogue today, from Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson;









Bring me one noggin of rum, now, won't you, matey."









"Avast, there!"









"Dead men don't bite."









"Shiver my timbers!" (often pronounced as "Shiver me timbers!")









"Fifteen men on the dead man's chest -- Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" (see Dead Man's Chest)









"There! That's what I think of ye. Before an hour's out, I'll stove in your old block house like a rum puncheon. Laugh, by thunder, laugh! Before an hour's out, ye'll laugh upon the other side. Them that die'll be the lucky ones."









I myself have often been considered a pirate of sorts. And thoroughly welcome this holiday as my own. AAAaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh.

Booty.

(Pictured; Cap'n Pinkertony, the Scourge of Barneys)

grrrrrr.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home