Friday, January 29, 2010

Obsessed much?

I have a new fixation with an older man. His name is Arthur Curry but you might know him as............Aquaman, King of the Seven Seas. He may seem a little old for a crush, it may seem unrealistic but I tell you that the blond buff dude in orange green does it for me.


The man is the ultimate swimmer, faster than any seacreature. He may even be faster than most cruise ships and submarines. He can get around and make the scenes. And his strength is legendary, people forget this. The man can lift mountains when wet rivalling all of his colleagues. Not only is he as strong as Superman, but he's a king! The people of Atlantis call him Rex, the Big Kahuna, Daddy. He has servants and wears gloves while swimming. He always has a solid chin, a hot wife, and great breast stroke. I want my traps as big as his. He is a classy dude that DC Comics hasn't been able to give a decent identity to for over sixty something years. Every time my hero breaks the surface he's had some 'work done' to his appeal. Sometimes he's milquetoast, a boring fool calling in the grey whales to do his busy work. Sometimes he's a bearded barbarian missing a hand to seem edgier and warlike. Sometimes he's a pretty twink in a Smallville episode that almost got a spin off. For years his identity has changed more radically than Madonna's. And all this while there's been groundswell for the swimming stud.
Fansites such as The Aquaman Shrine have cropped up, pledging allegiance to Atlantis' sovereign. There's also been memorabilia of Aquaman making the rounds. Dolls, posters and my personal favorite; the Aquaman Hoodie. (photo from 80stees.com) He seems to always almost make the crossover success into merchandising but never quite to his teammates status. It's not like he's unfamiliar, he's unlikely but not obscure. He's known but not truly seen. His good name was even thrown around in HBO's Entourage as a project for the shows lead Vincent Chase I(Adrien Grenier) Aquaman's as American as Superman or Batman, he just doesn't get the same press because the press doesn't know how to sell him. Where's all the good PR agencies when an amphibian needs a fin/hand???





The fansites have called today January 29th his birthday which would make Aquaman a Aquarian. I find this very amusing and am itching for the day that my local pool reopens post winter repairs. I will have my traps as big as Arthur just cause they look great in my fan t-shirt.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home