Thursday, April 26, 2007

A set of balls, bats, and bravery.

After 40 years of identifying as a man, Mike Penner is beginning the transformation to Christine Daniels. Mike is transgendered. This is new and awkward for all involved. For Mike it's the therapies psychological and hormonal, for society it's the normanlizing of phenomena. Many people have vested interests in this. Everyone is privy to this man's life as he is a seasoned sprotswriter for the LA Times. He coaches football and plays intramurals. His is an amazing story in the homophobic world of Sports. I can't help but send him as much good energy as I can muster. Read his story in the Times today here.


Another great story is an editorial written by David James, 15 year veteran of British football. In his great article he urges gay footballers to come out. I wonder if we would be having as much dialogue about homos in sports if it hadn't been for John Amaechi or Tim Hardaway for that matter. The article from The Observer is here.


I like to think that all of this is in prepartation for IDAHO, International Day Against Homophobia. A cause close to my hearts.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I read that! What a wonderful story. It was beautiful and challenging in a good way. I wish him the best. Maybe I'll start reading the sports section now...

Tonoccus

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home