Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Fins to the left.....

I love the beach. I love the water. This may just be why I live in So Cal, they both are so close. Last year I began learning to surf. I have the wax, have the board, have the swimming ability and coordination is coming. Have the instructor with the patience of a saint (K-dog) and an equal passion for the shore. Every time I have someone from out of town, I always take them to my fave beaches, and usually end up getting wet in the cold, fantastic Pacific. It's a beautiful coast and needs to be shared. The Pacific isn't always forgiving to the Spats, it has in fact dislocated a shoulder and turned my ankles a couple of times but I still limp/hobble back into get wet. I love me my beach, but recently there was a guest photographed at Sunset Beach near Gladstone's that I hope I never meet and know I have to share the water with.


So yeah, there he/she is. All flirty and animated for the fisherman, breaching the water and shaking it. Eight to ten feet of teethy, sharky joy. Not to be confused with any of the happy agents at CAA, this shark puts water down like Stoli and not vice versa. The water is warm this year so this sighting is highly unusual but with all the recent "sharkaphobia" that's been in the papers and told across the dunes the visit is freaky. I'm more apt now to swim in packs, not keep hamburgers in my pockets and to look both ways when crossing the wave. I have to share the road with bikers and now the water with sharks, "and to think they made that movie about that deadbeat, Gandhi". Name the quote for a prize.


It could be worse, in SoCal the shark sightings are few and far between compared to other places such as Hawaii and Australia. This picture is of a ten footer that was seen off the coast of Australia. The bites taken out of it suggest a 'super shark' guestimated at twenty feet plus. Australia holds fascination for me to visit, but maybe K-Dog and I will visit the beach with our books packed and leave the boards at home. Hawaii I have no interest in........

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home