Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ignorings IS Bliss.

Quiet. Do you smell something? It's the happy place calling. Sensory deprivation has long since been a productive tool in managing stress and activating creativity. The feeling/lack thereof of replacing bad stimulus with a glazed over expression and a mental retreat is wonderful. It's like a micronap. Plus, tuning out some bore in front of you may actually save lives. Many a great daydream has saved many a workplace from violence. Tune in, turn on, tune out. Just as Peter Pan flew to Neverneverland, people have been retreating to their happy place for centuries. We've only americanized it within the past century.

Buddhists restored their sense of Wa with determined meditation. Victorian society swore by the salt air of the seashore as a tonic to restore the spirit. The Eighties brought us to meet our inner-children, as well as what season we were for best colors to wear. Pain-offstaking has long made us better as individuals but has it made us better people. This is not a knew concept. Maybe if it were better accomodated in society we might live longer healthier lives. The Mexican people are definately onto longevity with a siesta in the middle of the day. I recognize when it happens in my head, when I let go of the reigns of my concious being and see where I end up. To be polite, I do keep one "foot in reality" by nodding appropritately, gently laughing etc. so that I am not responding to the stimulus in 'kind'.


I've developed a theory that recognizes tonics, wa, happy places et al. I call it Clicking. The name is deriven from tracing the point of 'spacing-out' from whatever has lost your attention, to actually hearing the synapse/axon in your head firing the click order to release dopamine. This process of bliss begins with a click, and I'm there to witness it. It's amazing how clicking speeds the day along. I recommend not clicking while driving. I recommend clicking in line at the bank. I recommend not clicking when chopping vegetables. I recommend clicking when talking to them. Sometimes I click and go to a childhood memory, sometimes to attending the opening act of the Muppet Show. I click and can almost hear the old men in the balcony above heckling. And again, I click. Go forward from this day on and see who you repeatedly click. See if you can smell anything as you click (one reporter has warm tollhouse cookies coming to her as she clicks) or notice any sort of soft light. It's your subconcious, do with it as you see fit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home