Sunday, June 01, 2008

Dancing Queen.

I'm not sure the history but it's been told to me that dancing at a wedding is to bring blessings upon the happy couple. It's the inverse of to dance on the despised's grave. In the tradition of dance we aim to express through our movements our intentions. Wedding are the cause of so much joy that the dancing at them can tell sooo many stories.

When you're gay and single, you have the tendency to be an accessory at these things. The marrying couple might use you to charm the eccentric aunty or bitter uncle. Maybe even to befriend the single dateless female or maybe even lure the closeted college friend to the fence. Above all at these events, they'll look to you to dance. I've been in this situation more times than I can remember. Literally, at these points at the wedding I'm usually hammered. Enjoying the night when out of no where will be a disco beat, a pathway, and some hand grabbing me and pulling me in.
Adam and Paula's wedding, 2000. I'm having a beer with a local school principal, digesting a lovely buffet, getting ready to make my retreat. Note, I can never ever leave things early, I'm usually batting cleanup with the happy couple and bridal party. As Goosey told me, "Anthony have a good time, but remember you're not the Groom, you're the Broom. You get to pick up after him." She kills me. Anywho, chatting up Mr. B when the lights went nova, Abba was blaring, and the bride had a vice grip on me. "You can dance, You can dance, having the time of your life..........." You do the boxstep on that one, you can see clearly how it went.


Sista Trish's wedding, 1997. I'm not in the ceremony, so I'm in a monkey suit of my own creation. Blue and white seersucker with leather braces and white suede bucks. Oh yeah, old school dandy. Putting them down with Suzie Q, end of the night, spotlight, Madonna. "Vogue" whispered through the room. Oh, know. Here it comes, and a tempo challenged alien jumps out o my chest. Complete with splits. Then next day, the torn hamstrings stained the back of my legs like fishnet stocking. Stories for years.

Darren and AM's wedding, 2008. Anguilla, starlight, Neil freaking Diamond followed by Busta Rhymes. Popping, swetting and splits. The pix are here to incriminate the posse. Even the banquet staff was dancing.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that is one of my favorite entries Tony. So well written and the ending with that fantastic picture of you. Well done.
That picture makes me miss you HUGELY!!!!

:) Girlfran

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home