Monday, August 14, 2006

Bobo.


There was a character in Moonstruck, the waiter named Bobo. Bobo was a career waiter who mourned the loss of Mr. Johnny(Danny Aiello) as a good bachelor customer for thirty years, to marriage. If you spend anytime in the foodservice profession, the second-oldest profession that is, you come to rely on your regulars not just as financial clients but as balasts to your peace. One positive visit can remove the memories of six horrible guests. This weekend I got in touch with my inner Bobo as I sent regulars of mine for the past five years, to their new home in Vegas. On some level it was a graduation, my establishment in Los Angeles was complete. Kids were named after me, stories told of horrific comments made while dining under my careful eye, and table envy created all through the dining room. On another level it was a bic pen to the heart that my life in serving was speeding by like Mel Gibson down the PCH. (Funny on four levels) I'm amazed at the time going by and counter-balanced by the amazing people I've met. Where does the time go/Oh, here come those nice people........... . My inner Bobo started to take inventory on humanity and reflect on the good ones versus the schmucks. The stuff you see on a daily basis is great sport. I thank my parents hourly when I'm busy at the restaurant that I was brought up respectful and hard working, and not the slovenly pig that I was slinging mahi mahi at. I mean really, where were some of these people raised? A petri-dish? Are you shitting me? As the animosity rises I remember the visit with the nice ones, and the rage subsides. I smile, I make coffee and remind newbies to the business that it's just work, and people are funny. Just Bobo's observations. Next time you come across Bobo look into his eyes and see if you can tell what's going on in that head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home