Sunday, August 17, 2008

Balthazar.

People are curious to know why I chose 'Balthazar' for a name for a tattoo and I just want to tell you my reasonings. I tend to Trojan Horse my symbols, I like to pile on the meanings in a layered effect. A lot like Benetton.


Did you know balthazar is a type of wine bottle? There are different names for bottles of wine as they go, and many of them have biblical connotations. Balthazar was a widely believed name of one of the Three Wisemen. Larger denominations of wine go as follows (in liters):


Magnum: 1.5
Marie Jeanne 2.25
Double Magnum 3.00
Jeroboam: 3.00
Rehoboam 4.5
Imperial/Methuselah 6.0
Salmanazar 9.0
Balthazar 12.00
Nebuchadnezzar 15.0
Melchior 18.00
Solomon 20.0
Sovereign 25.0
Primat 27.0
Melchizedek 30.0
Maximus 130.0

Balthazar is also the name of Balthazar Getty, one of the prettiest men alive. I've loved this man since he was an actor in the short lived night time soap 'Pasadena'. Such a great show, by Mike White ("Chuck and Buck") Aaahh, Balthazar. It's a shame he's such a cad. And he's related to the family of J. Paul Getty, art collector extraordinaire whose museums fill with such joy. He's an attention getter.
Balthazar is also the name of a trendy restaurant in New York. It's regal European feel immediately became a jewel to the foodies in Metropolis, who's tastes have now meandered back to their French roots. A top drawer bistro-inspired oasis, Balthazar draws interest from all over Manhattan for pomme frittes, moulles, and amazing baked goods. Oh, and a wine list that begs you to move in to try it all. . Balthazar was recently replicated here in Santa Monica as Anisette. A nice copy, but a copy none the less. Aaaah, the french.
Of course I chose a monkey. Obvious as a pig in a parlor. And a flying monkey? For the Wizard of Oz tour, my first professional job and "Wicked" being the sensation of recent memory. And on my back? You can draw your own conclusions.












Just a little education in my psyche, to pass the day away. You may surf on. xoxo












Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Balthazar in NY was the restaurant where I had my wedding lunch on the day Mark and I eloped.

 
At 2:12 PM , Blogger TSpats said...

How funny! The universe is random ain't it. If you ever come this way again, we'll eat at Anisette. Otherwise, we'll dine out in the Bahamas next year when I visit. It's coming, get ready.

xoxo

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home